Saturday, November 24, 2018

17 months of Grace and then some. . .



17 months may not sound like a lot of time until it’s broken down like this:  it’s 517.084 days which is 12,410.014 hours which is just a lot of time to be anywhere, especially in prison.  To be isolated.  To be alone.  To be trapped with the same person who got you in this mess to begin with.  17 months is a long time to do anything or be anywhere, especially in the prison of the mind…
We have all seen movies that attempt to portray prison.  Movies such as The Green Mile, Escape from Alcatraz, or my personal favorite - - The Shawshank Redemption.  I like to think of myself as a little bit like Tim Robbins’ character, Andy Dufrane, when he said in his letter to Red, “Hope is a good thing…maybe the best of things.”  Trust me on this one, there is not much hope in prison but my similarities with Andy Dufrane are better left for another day and another blog.  None of the movies listed here do prison justice.  One cannot capture the cold of prison.  A darkness such as prison is only seen by experience.  The smells cannot be described through the lens of a camera.  The emotional loss, feeling of isolation, and smell of captivity is mind boggling.  It is a place that can best be described as Hell on Earth and that is putting it nicely.  That too is better left for another day and another blog.
I am grateful that I only did 17 months in prison because of all the negatives of that place and that experience, I wasn’t there long enough to lose me, to become institutionalized, or worse yet, become a part of that dark system of oppression and captivity.  Sure, I spent over 80 days in solitary confinement.  Certainly, I ate food barely fit for animals three times per day.  I wore every article of clothing I owned all winter long because my dorm was kept at a balmy 40 degrees – did that.  Also, wore nothing but boxers most days from June to September when the dorm would reach comfortable temps of about 120 degrees on a cool day.  It’s a lovely place really.  A great place to get treatment for my disease.  But that too is left for another day and another blog.
One of the positives about my 17 months in Plainfield Correctional Facility was the relationship I was able to heal with my then ex-father-in-law, now father-in-law, Jim Botkin (man that’s a lot of hyphens). Jim was not at all pleased with me and I was not at all excited about his first visit with me in prison (sorry Jim).  Visits are controlled by the offender and I could have denied him access to see me, but I didn’t.  I knew that I wanted to begin to heal relationships and why not start with the hardest.  Why not begin with the man whose heart breaks for his only daughter and three of his six grandchildren?  As I read in one of the books he sent me by Joyce Meyer, why not begin where you are?  That title, Begin Where you Are, and that phrase dictated my transformation then and still does today. 
This blog is not only about mine and Jim’s relationship that became a firm foundation of my faith, my recovery journey, and my life, it is about the power of a strong support system.  In recovery, we know that nothing happens alone but relapse.  Recovery takes work from a lot of people.  Those battling the struggle of addiction must work hard but so do the family members, the friends, and the loved ones of those in recovery.  Trust, forgiveness, courage, and perseverance are not just words, they require a ton of work.  Work through pain, hurt, and brokenness.  Those words take grace and faith in God. PERIOD.
Back to Jim.  Jim came to me at my lowest and put aside his own pain, hurt, and anger and became one of my best friends in recovery.  He became more than a father-in-law, past or present.  He became a friend who believed in me - - wait for it - - even when I didn’t believe in me.  During that 17 months this is a part of what he did for me.
·       Visited me every two weeks for 1 ½ hours (including a 3 hour round trip drive).
·       Mailed me magazines
·       Sent me at least 6 – 8 books a month
·       Mailed me over 400 pictures of my kids, dinners, vacations, cars, houses, furniture, Christmas Trees, flowers, you name it.  Just normal stuff you wouldn’t understand let alone appreciate until you didn’t see any of those things for 17 months.  I mean the fastest I went for 17 months was as fast as my feet could take me… think about that
·       At least one long letter a week detailing everything in his week, my family’s week, and in the week of Marion. That same letter would go unappreciated unless you walked a mile in my State Boots
·       More greeting cards than I can count
·       ICARE packages (I cringe just saying that word) but thank you
·       STAMPS
·       Did I mention books?  I was able to once again become a voracious reader and I forever grateful for that gift.  I didn’t read a lot of books in the local crack houses.
Above all, he gave me HOPE.  HOPE that I had not seen in years.  HOPE that says where I am doesn’t define who I am.  HOPE that only comes from a place of brokenness, acceptance, and surrender.  HOPE for a new life.  HOPE for trust.  HOPE for forgiveness.  HOPE for love and HOPE for recovery.  I say to people in recovery all the time that “YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!”  I say that because I know the original rock star and it’s Jim.  His support was unexpected and undeserved.  His support was GRACE upon GRACE upon GRACE.   Jim and I talk about how our story remind us of the prodigal son and I guess it’s kind of true.  That story never made sense to me until I was gone for 17 months.  I also now identify with more than one person in that famous Biblical Story.  I am grateful for this new understanding.
To the real point of this blog I go…
I was struggling the last couple of weeks and last Saturday Jim showed up with a letter and… you guessed it… a book.  The letter started off with “I don’t see you as much as I would like” (okay…tears)”and that he knew that I was struggling, and he thought the book by Louis Giglio - - Giants Must Fall would help - - and it did.  That book and my experience of GRACE upon GRACE upon GRACE with Jim reminded of these truths:
·       I am worth Jesus to God
·       What matters most is that I understand that I move in God’s strength…not mine
·       I just need to listen to God
·       Help comes in unexpected places and from unexpected people if we do the right thing and follow God’s plan
·       17 months is a lifetime to some but to me it was the start of my freedom from the real prison… ME.
I leave you with this from Louis Giglio: “But freedom happens in the light.  Jesus is the light of the world, and he works most powerfully in us when we bring our brokenness and hurt, or sin and our drugs, into the light of his Grace.”

If you are struggling, it’s okay…help is only a prayer away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts