Saturday, January 19, 2019

What does your prison look like today?



I am writing this from the comfort of my Lazy-Boy as I look out the window and into a winter storm that many on Facebook have joked may just be the snow apocalypse.  As a kid I was constantly in awe of snow and the different landscapes it created in my neighborhood, on the hills of Riverview Elementary and within Brookhaven Subdivision, and in my head.  I appreciated and looked forward to snow and the wonder and new adventures it promised and most often guaranteed.  I think that is the case of many things in our  lives.  As a child there are many things, we are in awe of that later become less appreciated, taken for granted, and eventually we forget the excitement of things like snow.

Growing up do you remember snow, rain, your first glimpse of the ocean, or jumping into a lake for a swim?  Do you remember how easy it was to love all those things?  Do you recall how simple your life was?  Can you recall how BIG things were in your world?  I wonder if you ever took all those things for granted?  I look back and I know I did.  I wonder if you are like me and that brings up emotions, memories, regrets, and oddly enough gratitude.

Fast forward to the Winters of 2016 and 2017 and that is when I came to appreciate snow again.  Prison has been called a lot of things - - lonely, cold, violent, dangerous, isolated, and simply put - - HELL – just to name a few.  What prison was in my life was a time in which I was able to look back at my life and reflect, remember, hash out, and come to peace with.  Not many get to experience prison and for that I am grateful (I am sure those of you who have never been incarcerated for more than a month will join me in that gratitude).  Prison allowed me to sit down, be alone, find myself, find God, and again find an appreciation for snow and…

Rain, hot days, bitter cold days, the feel of grass on my feet, the smell of outside, worms on the walk after a rain, the smell of cut grass and many…many…many other things – but, back to snow.

Snow today reminds me of my journey and my life.  I was a kid and I loved and appreciated snow for what it was - - God’s creation, an adventure just waiting to happen, and simply put awesome.  Along comes life, work, family, stress, worry, anxiety, adulting, depression, loneliness, an affair, divorce, destruction, loneliness, angst, defeat and above all else - - separation from God.  And, just like that snow is just snow.  Snow (like life) is no longer an adventure, appreciated, loved, played in, anticipated,  and no longer recognized as God’s creation. 

Snow is just snow and life is…well…gone.

Funny, it took me going to prison to appreciate snow again.  To love life again.  To live again.  To love God again.  To love me again and to look forward to the adventures that snow and life have to offer.

What prison is keeping you from appreciating this snowy day?

Who do you need to call today for help?

Who do you need to write a letter, email, or a text to today and tell them that you are sorry, or that you love them?

How can I help you appreciate this snow and your life again? Go to Facebook and comment or call me at 765-667-0150. 

I remember falling and staying there.  I remember how that feels.  I remember learning to get back up.  Today, I fall but I get back up.  GET BACK UP…GO PLAY IN THE SNOW.

If you are struggling it’s okay, help is only a prayer away.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful and thought provoking! Thank you for sharing your transparency. Stay well and continue to embrace God in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and for the support and encouragement and prayers.

      Delete

Popular Posts